Sligo Rovers

Saturday, 30 June, 2018
2 - 3
SSE Airtricity League
Waterford moved seven points clear of fourth place Shamrock Rovers with a 3-2 win over Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds.
All the goals arrived in what was a hectic first half. The away side sailing into a two goal lead inside the first 20 minutes courtesy of strikes from Stanley Aborah and John Martin. 
Sligo rallied and dragged themselves back on par with quick fire strikes from Adam Wixted and Seamus Sharkey. 
But Bastien Hery’s goal moments on 33 minutes turned out to be the winner as Rovers fell to their twelfth league defeat of the season. 
Waterford started this one on the front foot. 
Things were looking good for Alan Reynolds’ charges early on when they opened the scoring just four minutes in. Jack Keaney was harshly adjudged to have impeded Courtney Duffus 20 yards from the target, before Aborah struck sweetly, the subsequent set-piece into the top corner of Mitchell Beeney’s net. 
Rovers didn’t fashion their first chance until 16 minutes in. Greg Moorhouse pushing John Mahon’s long ball into the path of Caolan McAleer, who forced a fine save from Blues net minder Matthew Connor.
Waterford got their second on 19. Ismahil Akinade knocking Dave Webster’s free kick from the half-way line into the vicinity of Martin, who turned and fire into the opposite corner. 
The Bit O’Red halved the deficit just short of the half hour. 
David Cawley’s sublime through ball finding the oncoming Wixted, who took one touch to steady himself before slotting past Connor from the angle.
Incredibly, Ger Lyttle’s charges found themselves back on par just two minutes later. Sharkey finding space to nod home Donelon’s corner. 
Rovers’ joy didn’t last long however as Waterford found themselves back in the lead on 33 minutes. Hery to taking control of a ball cleared to the edge of the area. The Frenchman driving the ball past Beeney to hand his team the lead once more. 
The home side went about their attempts to level proceedings in the second period. Moorhouse knocking his effort into the side netting while Keaney had Connor on his toes when he held on to the Donegal man’s first time volley on 64. 
Rovers had Beeney to thank for keeping them in touch on 70 minutes when he got down to guide Akinade’s header around his post.
Sligo Rovers: Mitchell Beeney; Seamus Sharkey, John Mahon, Patrick McClean, Regan Donelon; David Cawley, Jack Keaney; Caolan McAleer (Darren Collins 77), Lewis Morrison (Raff Cretaro 54), Adam Wixted; Greg Moorhouse (Liam Kerrigan 62).
Waterford: Matthew Connor; Sander Puri, Kenny Browne, Dave Webster, Dylan Barnett; Dean O’Halloran, Stanley Aborah (Shane Griffin HT), Bastien Hery, John Martin (John Kavangh 78); Courtney Duffus (Dean Walsh 90+2), Ismahil Akinade. 
Referee: Graham Kelly.